Monday, March 25, 2013

Ranch Taco Salad

I love for the most part the delicious choices in my Paleo lifestyle, but there are some days when I miss something. Really miss it. Ranch dressing is one of those. Blame it on my Southern roots and my Aunt Polly, but there just aren't too many things that can't be enhanced by this creamy condiment. I've tried a meriod of different Paleo versions, but as it is with a few tasty "bad" choices, I came to the conclusion there just was no substitute for the real thing and resigned myself to a life of oil and vinegar. That is until I discovered this recipe. After getting over the shock of the first ingredient, I put the rest on my grocery list and made us up a big Ranch taco salad a few days later. It was delish, and the dressing liken to the discovery of rubber (or at the least post-it notes). Now this isn't the exact flavor of Hidden Valley, but I would describe it as Ranch with a touch of butter crackers...and really, what's bad about that?! I wouldn't call it super low carb with the nuts either, but it's chemical and veggie oil free unlike it's grocery store equivalent. Feast your eyes! Then go make some;)

Ranch Taco Salad

Cooked and shredded chicken or browned ground beef
Taco seasoning to taste(recipe below)
Shredded lettuce
Toppings of choice (black olives, tomatoes, red onions, avocados, sweet peppers)
Nonnegotiable topping: crushed sweet potato chips!
Ranch dressing

Ranch Dressing
1 1/2 cups cashews (soaked for 2 hrs)
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup cider vinegar
3/4 extra virgin olive oil
Juice from 1/2 lemon
2 tbsp honey or agave
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp powdered onion
1 tsp powdered garlic
1 tsp dry dill
1 tsp salt
Mix all ingredients in blender or food processor then add 1 tsp dry parsley and refrigerate until thickened.

Taco Seasoning
4 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano



No comments:

Post a Comment