Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Hearing. Check.

When Rylin was born, I was told that he failed his hearing test, but not to worry, this was common after birth when newborns tend to have fluid in their ears. They scheduled him to be retested at 2 weeks old. My first question...how the heck do you check a newborn's hearing?! Today I found out. We went back to the hospital where a nurse placed sensors on the back of his neck and head and covered his ears with headphones. She then played soft tones into his ears and then measured his brain waves. (Crazy!) I learned that hearing loss is one of the most common birth defects, but that doctors now have the capability to fit a one month old with a hearing aid and a one year old with an implant! All this to avoid any speech problems that could arrise due to the lack of hearing. Rylin slept through the whole process, but still passed with flying colors! I had to take a picture of him, though, because it was too funny!


No comments:

Post a Comment