Monday, April 16, 2012

Dirt and other things I dream about these days

This past week while Rylin was at Mother's Day out, I made a quick trip to one of my favorite places...the public library. Our local library is just a few streets away and there are so many things I love about it. #1....peace and quiet! Something I don't get a lot of these days. I like the smell of the old books and I like how it makes me feel like I'm back in my 20's in the college library. Enough rambling on about my happy place...I was there for some books!

You can see I ended up with quite the bounty. I couldn't wait to get home and start reading. The compost book was the first I picked up since I've been wanting to get ours started for a while now. We had a very basic compost pile growing up that I don't remember having much interest in. (Really, what kid does) But now, the idea of minimizing waste and turning trash into garden goodness sounds way more appealing than the younger me appreciated.

The previous home owner left us this handy little thing when we moved in our house, and until a year ago we didn't even realize what it was!




This weekend I cleaned out the left over bags of manure, fertilizer, and cobwebs (I hate spiders) and prepped it for composting. Seems that they used it more for storage bug collecting. I dumped in some left over material from our garden, some chicken poo and shavings, and Rylin helped me collect dead leaves from the yard that missed the raking we did a month ago.


After last nights dinner, I made a small bag of food waste. Never have I been so excited over potato peelings and coffee grounds!




With a few stirs of the shovel and some time we'll be producing rich compost for the garden! Speaking of which, do you know what greeted me a couple days ago when I went out to water? Two tomatoes!




Can't wait till we're picking them off the vine and eating them!

No comments:

Post a Comment